It can get overwhelming with all the advice out there for auto repair shops to improve their digital marketing efforts. Google Ads, SEO, social media marketing, website, and content marketing are all vital to your marketing success.
As marketing experts for the tire and auto repair industry, we are seeing incredible results with our clients who are using a more traditional method of customer engagement. Direct mail marketing aka Postcard marketing for auto repair shops is highly lucrative right now. See why so many auto repair shops are returning to direct mail in 2024. And we’ll share insights to demonstrate how you can take advantage of the good old-fashioned mail.
Direct Mail Gets Better Response Rates
With the world turning to digital engagement, leaving behind many of the traditional methods of advertising, a unique opportunity has emerged. Some industries, including auto repair shops with a local target audience of service-based customers, are putting tangible messages and offers in customers’ hands. And it’s working. Direct mail response rates are through the roof, according to data shared by Postal.com.
- According to the Association of National Advertisers, traditional direct mail enjoys a 37% higher response rate than email.
- Direct mail has a 95% average engagement rate and is “interacted with” at least four times in the home.
- Roughly 74% of marketers today generally agree that direct mail delivers the best ROI, conversion rates, and response rates, according to Comperemedia.
Opportunity to Target Specific, Local Neighborhoods
Certain highly popular advertising medium such as Snap, TikTok, etc. are experiencing parabolic growth, however, they are more intended to reach global audiences. As you know, tire and auto shops aren’t trying to reach anyone beyond a few miles from their location. Your target customers are within specific regions and local markets. Direct mail is perfect for reaching that local audience, especially because you can segment your campaigns by:
- Neighborhood and zip code
- Vehicle make and model
- Household income and demographics
- Existing customers vs. new prospects
The customization opportunities with direct mail are game changers for auto repair shops, too. You can create cost-effective campaigns to reach the various niche households and share trackable and value-packed offers. For example:
- Postcards: Send reminder cards for oil changes and routine auto maintenance services.
- Letters: Send introductory letters to new-to-you customers with a special first-time customer offer.
- Dimensional Mailers: Send unique mailers that stand out from traditional 2D mail, inspiring better engagement.
- Brochures: Send brochures to promote your services, waiting room aesthetics, employees, and customer testimonials.
- Coupons: Send seasonal and timely coupons or discounts with limited-time offers for savings.
- New Mover Mailers: Send postcards with introductions and new customer discounts to new area residents moving to town.
People Still Love Getting Mail (Especially Deals)
The US Postal Service says that 71% of all consumers are “excited” to discover what arrives in the mail every day. You can capitalize on that excitement by delivering special offers, enticing services, and exclusive deals with direct mail.
There is incredible value in the tangible marketing that comes with a postcard or physical mail offer. And while customers are conditioned to continue scrolling with their digital media, they’re always forced to pause when that colorful and value-packed piece of mail arrives. It’s a memorable and physical representation of your brand with vast customization flexibility, making it even more impactful.
Mail feels more…
- Official: Target older generations who aren’t heavily influenced by digital ads.
- Personal: Target high-income customers with multiple-vehicle households.
- Exclusive: Target specific communities to invite them to a local event you’re hosting.
Far Less Auto Repair Competition in the Mailbox
Another advantage of using direct mail is a competitive one. Because so many brands and companies are focusing their marketing engagement online, there’s far less competition in the physical mailbox. Cut through all the online noise by pursuing the direct mail channel to stand out from the pack. Other direct mail benefits include:
- Direct mail naturally stands out with thick, glossy, or unusually shaped stock attracting the most attention.
- Direct mail is shareable and inspires people of all ages to share it, especially when they’re ready to make a purchase. Just think about the incredible shareability and popularity of retail giant Kohl’s and its Kohl’s Cash program.
- Direct mail can have a longer life span. For example, a magnetic postcard with calendar can hang on a fridge for a year or more!
And here’s another nugget to consider. That magic “mail moment” that the USPS says is still prevalent activity for today’s households is even more important now that so many consumers are working remotely.
Works Well with Digital Campaigns
We’re not suggesting that auto repair shops abandon their digital marketing efforts. Instead, we’re reminding owners and managers that there is realistic ROI and value with direct mail. And to really turbocharge your customer engagement results, you should develop a strategy that allows you to marry both digital and physical media.
Tie Your Direct Mail Postcards to Online Resources
Direct mail campaigns can use scannable QR codes for select repair discounts or service offers. Your postcard can also feature your social media details and website information, connecting the tangible card to your online presence. Following up a direct mail postcard campaign with an email message packs a power punch of engagement.
Personalized Mail Drives Digital Engagement
According to MarketReach, nearly 70% of people were driven to online activity by direct mail messages. Additionally, 35% of reached consumers made a purchasing decision as a result of direct mail. Personalizing these campaigns, offering unique deals and customized messages, will help your auto shop to:
- Drive local lead generation
- Direct local audiences to online channels
- Boost brand awareness and loyalty
- Re-engage past customers
Harness the Power of Direct Mail for Your Tire & Auto Shop in 2024
When you sit down to develop your tire and auto shop marketing strategy for 2024, don’t overlook the power of direct mail. It’s the channel that will allow you to zig while your competitors zag, providing you with a competitive advantage you can’t get with other media. Start bringing in more customers, building a loyal following within your community, and dominating your local market. Give us a call, and we’ll share how direct mail can work for your bottom line. And let us design a high-ROI direct mail campaign for your tire and auto shop!
Learn About Conceptual Minds
As veterans of the automotive industry, the Conceptual Minds team are experts at growing car counts through effective and personable marketing. If you are unsure of your current marketing strategy and would like some guidance, contact us today.
Need help with your postcard and direct mail campaign?